The power of eating well is tremendous and is often forgotten. It’s amazing to see how a slight change in one’s diet can make a big impact on their mood, weight, and overall health. Here are some dietary tips to follow to prevent disease, increase energy, or to find and maintain your desired weight.
- Eat only when hungry. It seems like common sense but many people fall into eating because their bored, watching TV, or at a sporting event. Try to leave 2-3 hours in between meals or snacks and try not to eat at least 2-3 hours before bed.
- Chew, chew, chew! It’s important to remember that the first step of digestion starts in your mouth. Food should be chewed thoroughly to allow easy digestion and avoid over eating by allowing your stomach to fill and a consistent rate.
- Save your biggest meal for lunch. At the middle of the day is when your digestive system is at its peak performance. Eating close to your bedtime doesn’t allow your digestion system to adequately rest.
- Exercise and de-stress regularly. Get yourself moving, breathing, stretching and relaxing on a regular basis. When stressed, we tend to stress eat which typically means reaching for the unhealthy snacks. Exercising, while burning calories from food, also is a way to de-stress and increase your mood.
- Cleanse regularly. There are a lot of toxins in some of the foods we eat and our body naturally produces toxins. For these reasons, it’s wise to cleanse and rejuvenate your body to optimal health.
- Don’t skip meals! You may be busy but skipping meals means you are more likely to binge the next time you eat to compensate.
Try to be consistent on a daily basis with overall good eating, de-stressing, and physical activity. Establishing healthy habits increases your overall health and decreases your risk of illnesses and diseases. Make this year, a year where you’re eating well!