We asked our massage therapists to compile a list of frequently asked questions they get asked about massage therapy all the time!
- What is a knot and Why do I have them?
- A knot is your muscle fibers contraction to protect an underlying inflamed nerve. This inflamed nerve is caused by a subluxation (misalignment) of a joint. This joint could be in your neck, shoulder, back, hip, the list goes on and on.
- Why does pressure from a massage release the knots?
- Pressure from massage helps free up those contracted muscle fibers. A knot is similar to your “check engine” light in your car. The knot is signaling to your body that something deeper is going on in the body, aka a subluxation.
- Why do I feel sluggish after a massage?
- When you feel a bit sluggish or slow after a massage, that means you reached the deep relaxation point. This cues your body to into a deep relaxation state and when your body comes out of this state, you can feel a bit sluggish. During this time your body has lowered stress hormones and increased the feel good hormones.
- How many sessions/massages do I need to “fix the problem”?
- It depends. Various variables affect your body and how it can respond to massage treatment. How much water do you consume? Do you exercise? What does your posture look like at work? Are you recovering from an injury? What does your diet look like? The list of questions goes on and on.
Have any questions that aren’t on the list? Let us know!