The warm weather season is finally here, and hopefully to stay awhile. With this warm weather we see the golf courses open and the golfers swarming to play the game! Whether you are an avid golfer or a beginner, it is important to know how to play without any pain.
Though golf is considered a low-impact sport, it doesn’t mean it is a sport where injuries do not happen. The most common injuries associated with golf are in lower back, elbow, wrist and shoulder. To enjoy an injury free, golf-filled summer, follow these tips:
- Use Proper Equipment– This means both your clubs as well as your shoes. Clubs that are properly fitted will help correct posture, technique, and alignment while reducing the risk of injury. Proper shoes are also important. Walking from hole to hole (or cart to hole) means you need good support for the rest of your body, starting with your feet. Not only does Minser Chiropractic Clinic offer custom fitted orthotics for work shoes and athletic shoes but they also come specifically for golfers!
- Warm Up– Just like any other physical activity, warming up your muscles is extremely important. It reduces the risk of injury by generating blood flow and loosening the joints. Stretch out all areas of the body-arms, back, and legs to avoid injuries.
- Stop Immediately if You are Injured– Playing while injured, no matter how small the injury, can further aggravate your muscles, pain and cause more damage. Take a few days off to rest and recover.
- Use Proper Golfing Techniques– It’s important to watch your swing; not only to improve your game but to avoid injury. If you over-swing, you can create strain on your joints and spine causing lower back pain. Lift your clubs properly. Golf bags full of equipment are not light as a feather. Without proper mechanics, you can easily throw out your back by lifting your bag with your back instead of bending at the knees. Watch how you’re grabbing your golf bag to avoid injury.
- Get an Adjustment!– Chiropractic is known to help prevent injury, increase athletic ability, and speed up recovery from injuries. Our doctors at Minser Chiropractic Clinic can give you more tips and at home exercises to help you improve your game and keep you out on the course.
Have more tips you want us to share? Connect with us and let us know!