It’s pretty common to crave a quick snack right before bedtime. Instead of grabbing ice cream or a bag of potato chips, choose nighttime snacks that are healthier while filling you up!
- Popcorn– If you enjoy salty, crunchy snacks, popcorn is a great alternative to chips. You can eat it plain or add some flavor by sprinkling low-calorie seasonings like lemon-pepper, paprika, or garlic powder.
- Fruit– Great for satisfying the sweet tooth. Dried fruit is also an option, but try not to overdo it. Dried fruits tend to have high sugar content.
- Roasted Nuts– This is another option for snackers who prefer salty foods. You can add a few chocolate chips in the mix to help satisfy that sweet tooth.
- Veggies and Hummus– Dip a few carrots or celery sticks in some creamy hummus for a snack that’s high in protein and fiber.
- Cereal with Milk– Cereal isn’t only for breakfast! Choose a whole grain cereal and low fat milk for a filling snack. Try to stay away from the sugary cereals, instead sprinkle in some berries or chocolate chips on your own.
- Soup– Broth based soups are easy to digest and the warmth can be soothing right before bed.
These are all great nighttime snacks for both adults and kids! Lead by example for children by making an effort to eat healthier for all meals and snacks.