The holidays are upon us! Time to gather with friends, family, and FOOD. If you are trying to lose weight, this can be a very challenging time of year. Try setting a goal of maintaining your current weight instead of losing weight. You can always set new goals to shed pounds after the holidays.
It’s very easy to stray from any sort of goal this time of season. You want to say “yes!” to that extra helping of stuffing, home made fudge, and Aunt Carol’s secret pumpkin pie recipe. Just remember, everything in moderation! Keep these tips in mind while the stockings are hung.
- Keep Moving! You have gifts to wrap, cookies to bake, and cards to send, but don’t put exercise on the back burner. Continue to shoot for at least 30 min. of physical activity each day. Go for a walk around the neighborhood, do resistance training, or take that dance class you’ve wanted to try.
- Manage your appetite with foods that help you feel full faster and longer such as vegetables and high fiber cereals.
- Do NOT skip meals! It’s a busy time of year but skipping meals means you are more likely to binge the next time you eat to compensate.
- Plan ahead and pack nutrient-dense snacks to get through the day. Include fruits, vegetables, and a good quality source of protein (cheese sticks, eggs, soy nuts, etc.)
- Buy snacks in individual serving sizes or portion snacks out in small containers.
- Aim for 8 hours of sleep each night. Lack of sleep can lead people to consume more sugary foods and more calories during the day.
- Avoid emotional eating! Emotions can interfere with your ability to make healthy choices and can also upset your digestion.
With continuous exercise, attention to diet, and mindfulness at parties, you can maintain your weight during the winter holidays. Try to be consistent on a daily basis with overall good eating and physical activity. And enjoy this beautiful time of year!