Why should we use supplements?
Americans are deficient in essential vitamins and minerals due to the food choices they make every day. What we eat is the foundation of our general health; so it’s true when they say “You are what you eat”. No matter if you eat the best food possible, i.e. organic, you cannot replenish deficiencies through diet alone. Vitamin supplements are the best and most efficient way to replenish those deficiencies that we do not get from our diet.
So which ones should you take?
Every person is different in how their body processes vitamins and minerals and their diet. A person who eats fast food every day is lacking more vitamins than someone who eats organic foods. The list of supplements are the key 5 that everyone should be taking.
- Multivitamin-This is a concentrated source of nutrients that will help support a healthy diet. This is not to be taken as the only source of vitamins, but should complement what you are currently eating
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids-These fatty acids are beneficial for a variety of reasons: body composition, cardiovascular health, healthy blood sugar levels, healthy mood, brain development and function, breast health, healthy prostate function, and more!
- Vitamin D– There have been many studies that a deficiency in vitamin D may play a role in various diseases and conditions. One study even said that about 40% of the U.S. population and 76% of pregnant women are vitamin D deficient. Vitamin D is crucial for immunity, insulin secretion, blood pressure regulation, maintain-ing calcium balance, and can help with cell differentiation with can be a cancer preventative.
- Probiotic– Probiotics are live microorganisms that are similar to the good bacteria found naturally in the human body. From the very first breath we take, we are exposed to probiotics through the birth canal during a normal delivery. As we get older, things like chlorinated drinking water, antibiotics, and processed foods pose a threat to the good bacteria found in our gut. To combat these threats, it is beneficial to take a probiotic to establish a balance of microorganisms in our body.
- Greens– Let’s be honest, there aren’t many of us who are good at getting enough plants into our diet. There are a couple nutritional products that make it possible to help get an appropriate level of fruits and greens into our diet. By getting the right amount of plants in our diet, it helps our body with improving the immune system, detoxification of body systems, balancing pH levels, improving energy and metabolism, along with many other benefits.
If you think, or are not sure if you need to take an additional supplement due to a disease or condition you have, please consult one of our doctors in a nutritional counseling session! You can also consult them about any of the 5 key supplements that were discussed. It is important that you buy a high quality supplement to ensure you are getting the proper vitamins and proper amount. Schedule your nutritional consult with any of our doctors today!